by Courtney Plummer and Sadie Kempner
Last month we participated in a riveting webinar with Jenny Lawson, Vice President of Organizing, Engagement, and Campaigns at Planned Parenthood Action Fund & Planned Parenthood Votes. Here is what we learned from Jenny, leading into the 2020 elections.
The threat to Roe v Wade is real and has gained considerable traction during the Trump administration. Since 31 May 2019, over 300 bills restricting abortion have been filed in 47 states. Nearly half of these filed bills are aimed at banning abortion. In order to protect Roe, candidates must elevate the issue of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Justice and make it a winning issue in 2020.
In 2020, Democrats must secure key wins in the Presidential election, flip the Senate and maintain control of the House. In addition to these critical wins, Dems must take over more gubernatorial races in the upcoming election cycle. Every Democratic win in 2020 is key to preserving the reproductive freedoms of all Americans.
Jenny emphasised that in an era in which Americans are increasingly sceptical of experts and information provided by politicians or news media, Planned Parenthood continues to cut through the noise of “fake news” and twitter storms as a source of information and progressive political perspectives. Planned Parenthood campaigners and canvassers are consistently respected and listened to on sexual health issues that affect all Americans in a way neither political party can fully claim to be. As such, Planned Parenthood are a crucial ally in our march to the white house in 2020.
Here are some key states for you to watch:
Key states in the Presidential election:
Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin
Key Senatorial elections:
Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Virginia
Key Gubernatorial elections:
Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina
What YOU can do:
· Hold Candidates Accountable on Reproductive Rights – Host a letter writing campaign to Congress. Sending letters and postcards en masse can be very productive! Contact WC Leader Laura to find out how you can do this.
· Vote for candidates who will protect Roe and further advance the issues surrounding Reproductive Justice.
· Call members of Congress to show your support of this issue – this can be done solo or as part of a WC or DAUK callstorm!
· Fill out your 2020 Census form and make sure you are counted.
· Take some time in 2020 to canvass for Democratic candidates in key states where reproductive rights are most vulnerable. Don’t underestimate how valuable your time and skills can be as a campaign donation!